Browsing News Entries
Atacante de iglesia católica en Minneapolis se burló de Cristo y exaltó el satanismo antes del tiroteo
Posted on 08/28/2025 20:40 PM (Noticias de ACI Prensa)
Santa Mónica de los Agustinos: la capilla donde el Papa León XIV abrazó su vocación al sacerdocio
Posted on 08/28/2025 20:02 PM (Noticias de ACI Prensa)
School district backs off violating student’s free speech, religious freedom rights
Posted on 08/28/2025 19:53 PM (CNA Daily News - US)

CNA Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 15:53 pm (CNA).
A rising senior at a high school in Grand Island, New York, Sabrina Steffans, is now allowed to decorate her school parking space with Christian messages after her high school reversed course after initially rejecting her faith-based artwork.
Grand Island High School allows seniors to paint their parking spots “to encourage students to express themselves through positive artwork, to beautify the campus, to build school spirit, and to create a new and exciting radiation to support senior class activities and events.”
When Steffans, a Christian who leads a Bible club at her school, proposed three drawings for her parking space, the school rejected the first two, which had Christian themes.
Steffans said the school approved the third design, “which had no Bible verses, no crosses, or anything.”
Steffans said after the school rejected the second proposed drawing, “that’s when we kind of decided to take charge and move forward with this [legal action].”
Steffans hired lawyers from First Liberty Institute, a nonprofit religious liberty law firm, who wrote a demand letter to the Grand Island school district insisting she had a constitutionally-protected right to freely express her religious beliefs at school.
Days later, attorneys for the school district responded to the demand letter stating that Sabrina could proceed with her original design.
“We are pleased that the school district changed course and will allow Sabrina to truly express her deeply held beliefs in her design,” said Keisha Russell, senior counsel for First Liberty Institute. “The First Amendment protects students’ private expressions of faith in public schools.”
In response to the threatened lawsuit, Grand Island Central School District Superintendent Brian Graham issued a statement last week saying the district takes “seriously our responsibility to uphold constitutional principles, including the First Amendment.”
He continued: “While we strongly dispute any assertion that our policies or decisions violated the rights of any student, the board of education and district leadership, after careful consultation with legal counsel, have decided that the student in question will be permitted to proceed with her original senior parking space design.”
El ansia por hallar la verdad llevó a San Agustín a encontrarse con Dios, afirma prior agustino
Posted on 08/28/2025 18:50 PM (Noticias de ACI Prensa)
Dictadura de Nicaragua prohibió más de 16.500 procesiones, revela nuevo informe
Posted on 08/28/2025 18:05 PM (Noticias de ACI Prensa)
El Papa León XIV nombra a seis latinoamericanos en el Dicasterio para el Clero
Posted on 08/28/2025 17:36 PM (Noticias de ACI Prensa)
Bankruptcy court accepts Diocese of Syracuse’s $176 million abuse settlement
Posted on 08/28/2025 16:00 PM (CNA Daily News - US)

CNA Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 12:00 pm (CNA).
A federal bankruptcy court has accepted the Diocese of Syracuse, New York’s massive $176 million abuse settlement plan, Bishop Douglas Lucia said this week.
The decision comes after a yearslong negotiation process between the diocese and victims of clergy abuse as well as between the diocese and insurers that will pay into the settlement fund.
Lucia said in an Aug. 27 letter that the diocese will contribute $100 million to the fund, as diocesan leaders first announced in 2023.
Fifty million dollars will come from the diocese itself, with $45 million from parishes and $5 million from “other Catholic entities” associated with the Syracuse Diocese.
The remaining $76 million will be contributed by diocesan insurance companies, the bishop said.
Further “nonmonetary items” in the agreement include provisions such as strengthening diocesan safe environment policies.
The diocese initiated the bankruptcy process in 2020. In his letter, Lucia thanked his fellow Catholics “who throughout these five years have prayed for this resolution and for those whose hearts were broken by the betrayal that came at the hands of Church members.”
“Together I now pray we will grow ever more as the body of Christ in this part of the world community,” he said.
The Syracuse decision comes amid a wave of high-value abuse settlement payouts from U.S. dioceses, including throughout New York.
Abuse victims in New York last month agreed to a massive settlement from the Diocese of Rochester, which is set to pay $246 million to survivors of clergy abuse there.
The Diocese of Buffalo, New York, earlier this year agreed to pay out a $150 million sum as part of its own abuse settlement.
The largest diocesan-level bankruptcy settlement in U.S. history thus far has been from the Diocese of Rockville Centre — also in New York — which last year agreed to pay $323 million to abuse victims.
The largest Church abuse payout total in U.S. history thus far has been at the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, which last year agreed to a near-$1 billion payment to abuse victims.
Arzobispo de Minneapolis tras tiroteo en colegio católico: “Tengo el corazón roto”
Posted on 08/28/2025 15:58 PM (Noticias de ACI Prensa)
León XIV pide valor a los políticos católicos para decir “no” cuando está en juego la verdad
Posted on 08/28/2025 15:39 PM (Noticias de ACI Prensa)
Minneapolis Catholic school closed after shooting; leaders vow to ‘rebuild’ with ‘hope’
Posted on 08/28/2025 15:30 PM (CNA Daily News - US)

CNA Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 11:30 am (CNA).
The leaders of the Minneapolis Catholic school where two children were shot and killed during a mass shooting incident on Wednesday say the school will remain closed for the time being as the community continues to deal with the “unfathomable” deadly incident.
The shooting took place during the all-school Mass at Annunciation Church in Minneapolis on Aug. 27. The gunman, identified as 23-year-old Robin Westman, born Robert Westman, shot through the church’s stained-glass windows with a rifle, killing the two children and injuring nearly 20 children and adults before taking his own life.
The shooting generated global headlines and drew prayers and support from leaders including Pope Leo XIV and President Donald Trump.
In a Facebook post on Wednesday evening, Annunciation Catholic School Principal Matthew DeBoer and parish pastor Father Dennis Zehren described the crisis as an “impossible situation.”
“No words can capture what we have gone through, what we are going through, and what we will go through in the coming days and weeks,” they wrote. “But we will navigate this — together.”
The leaders indicated the school would remain closed for at least the rest of the week and possibly longer. “As we process and navigate this unfathomable time together, we will be in touch this weekend regarding when school will resume,” they said.
The statement noted that law enforcement are still carrying out “essential work” on the school’s campus, located several miles south of downtown Minneapolis.
Families in the parish will have access to support services, they said.
“In this time of darkness, let us commit to being the light to our children, each other, and our community,” the statement said. “We will rebuild our future filled with hope — together.”
Pope Leo XIV after the shooting sent his “heartfelt condolences and the assurance of spiritual closeness” to the victims of the shooting, while Catholic bishops and leaders from around the country likewise called for prayers and support for the school community.
The deadly shooting came after Minnesota’s bishops had implored state lawmakers to provide security funding for local nonpublic schools.
Those appeals from the bishops came after deadly school shootings at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, and at the Covenant School in Nashville, Tennessee.
The prelates had argued that students at Catholic and other nonpublic schools should receive the same level of protection as their public-school peers, though bills to that effect stalled in the state Legislature.